Les bons amis du temps passé

I had the delightful good fortune this last week of reconnecting with an old friend. We were in the same grad program at Oxford, and haven't seen each other since. Thanks to the miracle that is Facebook, she looked me up when work brought her to town, and we passed a lovely evening reminiscing and catching up on the last decade. (DECADE!). Apparently we're living parallel lives: I made a couple babies with my dashingly handsome, Republican husband; she made a couple films with her Emmy-winning, Oscar-nominated boyfriend....

It was so very nice to catch up, and also a little bittersweet. During this annual time of introspection, I can't help but reflect on all the people who have been dear to me during different chapters of my life. What an embarrassment of (human) riches! And how sad that I am not great about keeping in touch with all those amazing, inspiring superstars. If any of you are reading this, you should know -- it's not just you. I don't send holiday cards to anyone.

I'm not sure what this New Year will bring, but I hope it includes many more happy reconnections. Cheers!