Something Extraordinary

I've been busy lately -- moving cross country; finally settling into our crazy house; teaching Hettie to read, Phineas to use the potty and Willa to abstain from biting other humans with her three genuine teeth. You know, the regular stuff. But hectic times call for quality procrastination. And I've been blessed in that department, too.

My beloved congregation here (which is also Charity's) is in the middle of a really wonderful service project: collecting handmade hats for the kids at D.C. Children's Hospital Oncology Unit. The goal is to make at least 500 by mid-March. My crafty alter-ego doesn't get too many chances to come out and play, but my little fingers have been busily crocheting for the last several weeks, whenever I happen to find a free moment without a kid or a dirty dish or a moving box in my hands.  And if I use a big enough hook, I can bang out a chunky little topper in one episode of Downton Abbey or a round trip drive to our brother's house in the suburbs (but only if Dave is doing the actual driving part...). It's done a marvelous job keeping my hands and heart toasty during this miserable cold snap.

Can you guess which yarn Hettie picked? I suppose if she loves it, some other 4-year-old might, too :-)

If you would like to join in this really meaningful effort, I would be SO grateful -- and I promise you'll feel great. Hats need to be brand new, never worn, for kids ages 2-18 (with the greatest need for 8-13-year-olds). These are very sick kids, and it makes them happy to receive something made especially for them. Beyond that, there aren't any restrictions on the style or material -- we have knitters, loomers (is that a word?), sewers, sending hats from all over. If you (or a zealous group of friends!) would care to join us, please let me know and I'll send you all the details!