A Revelation in Caramel

Since Mercina and Glorianna are busy with TEDxYale, I am going to fill the void with something way sweeter: Caramel sauce.  Not just any caramel sauce. The best caramel sauce you have or will ever taste. No joke. Bar none. End of story.

I'm a sucker for caramel. I always have been and I fear I always will. Something about the nutty, rich, sweetness of almost carbonized butter fat and sugar makes that diabetes inducing, artery clogging, euphoria crazed trip to the ICU seem almost worth it ... actually, it wasn't worth it. It wasn't worth it at all...  hum ...

But this caramel sauce is particularly amazing, largely due to a secret ingredient that will help you get that toasty, roasty yumminess every time. Now sometimes my sisters think my secret ingredients are crazy (though I must note  -- actually, I don't have to note it, I just want to note it in order to make a point and because I'm feeling the teensie weensiest bit snotty -- the last time this happened, a recipe just like mine turned up in Martha Stewart Living a few weeks later), but don't judge until you try this.

Charity's Unexpected Caramel Sauce

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cream
4 tablespoons butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp soy sauce

Place brown sugar, cream and butter in sauce pan on medium heat. Stir frequently for about 7-10 minutes -- until sauce begins to thicken or til it reaches 170 on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and soy sauce. Mix vigorously. Serve immediately or allow to cool.

Eat with ice cream, bread pudding, cream puffs, cake, a spoon, cereal, you name it. It will taste better. Mine is still good after sitting in the fridge for 3 weeks. I'll let you know how much longer it lasts.