The Very Best Of Indian Summer

When I was a kid, my mom used to go down to the Economy Market. It was a small, family owned Greek specialty store in Denver. I liked this for a few reasons. The first was I knew it meant Mom was making Greek food soon and I still haven't met someone who does it better. Secondly, when we went, Mom would usually get me a little honey sesame brittle which remains one of my very favorite candies. Finally, there was the feta. Glistening white and with it's distinctive vomitous smell, there was something about it that I found irresistible. When we had it, the kitchen's major draw wasn't cookies or ice cream; it was that amazing, salty cheese. I would eat it by the chunk. Mom liked it because she thought the name implied it was cheap. In fact, Economia was the family name, so there wasn't really a price cut. But that feta was unforgettable. With that story, I give you two salads for the end of summer that make use of the wonderful, pungent cheese. It's the perfect accouterments for the sweet September harvests that are coming in.  The first is a classic New American mix of old and new world ingredients. The second is a Mediterranean salad I first enjoyed at my grandparents favorite little cafe in Budapest. This one has a twist in presentation. The dishes are fast, beautiful and delicious. Serve them alone or on top of crusty bread as a delicious bruchetta.


Corn Salad

4 ears sweet corn, shucked and raw
1/2 lb fresh tomatoes
1 cup arugula
1/2 cup crumbled feta



Cut fresh corn kernels off of the cob and place in medium sized bowl. Slice tomatoes into bite sized chunks. Toss with corn and Feta. Add arugula and toss. Serve immediately. Should keep for 3 to three days.

Medeterrenian Salad

Watermelon
Honeydew
Cantaloupe
Red Onion
Basil
Feta
Olive Oil
Sea Salt

Slice red onion and soak in warm water. Slice melons and feta in wedges. Alternate mellons and red onions on a plate, allowing one wedge of feta per 3 pieces of melon. Chiffonade basil and sprinkle over salad. Drizzle with olive oil and finish with a pinch of sea salt.

What are your favorite end of summer treats?