Notes from Montreal






Howdy folks!

On Saturday we had our first baptism! It was wonderful. The little boy (he's 10) was so incredibly excited. And everyone was really supportive. His father (who is not a member) really wanted to be there, but could only make it if the baptism was at 10am. Which is really early for most people. But everyone we invited came! Yup. There were over 30 people there, which, in my ever so humble opinion, is pretty good for a Saturday morning baptism. But we didn't actually think anyone was going to come. And we didn't think we would have food, so we were a little anxious. Here's the thing, baptisms in the Lemoyne ward are kind of a big deal. People love making them into parties. But this baptism didn't really seem like it was going to be a party. And while we would have liked to spend the day before preparing things for the baptism, our schedule was filled with a lot of scheduled service - followed by teaching appointments which we couldn't move. 

So, Friday night after planning I made a big apple crisp and a loaf of bread, we organized the cookies and spreads the family had given us, and hoped for the best. And, despite our low expectations, the baptism was a party. It was perfect. And even though the ward mission leader brought beautiful fruit and pastries, and other members brought exquisite home-made muffins and cookies, everyone was very moved that we - the missionaries - had made offerings, too. AND the apple crisp was a crazy hit. Everyone was a fan. And as long as I'm a missionary, I don't think I will ever stop hearing members tell me that as soon as I get home, I'mma get married 'cause I'm just too cute and I cook too good.' What can I say? They're very sweet...and I still have to work on this humility thing :)

I love you alll tooooooo much! We had Thanksgiving here last week. It was...nice. But not really, because it wasn't American and none of you were here. 

OK. 

Je vous aime plus que beaucoup!!!!!!!!



P.S. People here think my French is pretty sweet (apparently French-Canadians think American accents are about the most charming thing ever....but really, I'm trying to speak well. The accents just got me so confused :)

Mercina's Apple Pear Crisp




Innards:
4 pears (chopped)
6 Apples (chopped)
Orange zest
Lemon zest
2ish tablespoons orange juice
2ish tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Topping:
1 1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup crushed oats, mollasses cookies, or crunchy granola
2 sticks butter

Mix the innards together in an appropriately sized pyrex. Combine topping ingredients and and sprinkle on top. Bake everything at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes. Enjoy with ice cream or whipped cream or vanilla yogurt.