On traveling with small children

I am writing this post at 1:30 a.m. on Wednesday, the 16th of March.  Mr. One is in Boston on business, and I can never sleep well when he's gone... 

By the time you read this, hopefully the babies and I will be happily settled in Hungary.  But right now I'm sitting in my room surrounded by clean laundry and hungry suitcases, trying to wrap my brain around how on earth I am going to transport my children across an ocean and a continent without driving myself and our fellow-travelers insane.  We fly out of Dulles on Thursday evening, have a loooooong layover in AMS and finally arrive in my beloved Budapest late Friday night. 

I usually don't stress about travel.  In times past, I could glide through security, sleep through questionable airline cuisine and arrive relatively fresh-faced after even the longest of flights.  But my two new, high-maintenance carry-ons have humbled me.  I admit: I have no idea what I'm doing.  I'm just hoping some combination of jellybeans, Benadryl, BrainQuest and, in Tiny's case, boobies will keep the adorable monsters in a happy stupor until we clear customs and I can start plying them with palacsinta and gypsy violins...

Top 5 Things I'm Hoping Will Save My Sanity on a VERY Long Plane Trip with Two Babies

1) Hypnotizing light wand
Picture courtesy photosbymartina
This is magic -- it mesmerizes both children at the same time.
2) Sit 'n' Stroll (x2)
Thanks, Dad!

3) Binkies
To comfort the babies when they might otherwise cry.
I spent $25 on these today, and am seriously contemplating going back for more

4) Snazzy new purse
To comfort me when I might otherwise cry.
I bought three purses today, because I couldn't decide which would be the best gift for my friend whose home and life I am invading for the next month.  I still haven't decided which one to give her, but I'm pretty sure it's not this one.  Doesn't it look like it was just made to hold boarding passes?

5) Teabelly!
(but not her kitties, much to the Princess' dismay).  
Yes, I recruited a friend.  I am so excited this lovely lady is coming to Hungary with us!  And not just because she'll hold Tiny when I need to go to the bathroom.  I swear.

Even if everything comes together in a best-case-scenario kind of way, Monday morning might find me hiding in a dark closet trying to regain my wits -- which would be important, since I'm giving a speech (in Hungarian!) Monday afternoon.  Wish me luck!