The Perils of the Big White Dress

This year, between me and Yman, we have a lot of invitations to weddings.  Maybe it is because of germs and maybe it's because my family culture, but I just don't get spending tons of money on a wedding.  Think of everything you could do with the money instead: Put a down payment on a house; Give money to a humanitarian aid fund; Keep it for a rainy day; take your lovie and your families on a great vacation.

My grandparents, in 1950
My grandparents in 2000
My grandparents were married for 58 years.  My grandmother wore a dress from Lerner and the attendees included her mother, the family who lived in the home where the wedding took place and two non family members.  Mom and dad were married for 30 years,* and eloped with no one there but a few, close friends.


To me, when you get married, it is a commitment between the two people getting married and God or the universe or whatever you want to call it.  I feel that the bigger and more expensive the party, the less two people getting married can actually focus on that commitment.

I understand why some people want a big party to celebrate their wedding.  I'm just not one of them.  I would be happy with a modest white dress and a marriage worth celebrating after 50 years.
My parents in 1979
1991
2007
*added more pictures!