Today I was trying to decide whether I would post on feminism, threading or vegan chocolate mousse... really.

And after a day of entertaining, writing, interviews and eating the mousse, I decided between Sheryl Sandberg, Anne Marie Slaughter (side note: congratulations on the New America Foundation, Ms. Slaughter) and Susan Patton, there was enough feminism in the news this week.  Threading was just too painful. So I would take on the issue that will make any woman want to lean in: Chocolate. And not just any chocolate, a truly miraculous dark chocolate mousse, introduced to me by New York Times food writer, Melissa Clark. Like we women often do, when Ms. Clark arrived on the NYT food video scene to commandeer join Mark Bittman, I didn't want to like her. He was so quirky, so entertaining, so causal with his cooking -- dare I say, Tillemann-Dick-like in his kitchen habits that I just wanted him to stay there forever. I saw Ms. Clark as an interloper. And she's not Marc Bittman. She doesn't want to be. She focuses on basic technique, favorite recipes and professional tricks of the trade that can help any cook be better. So after some growing pains, I have decided that I like Ms. Clark quite a lot. This recipe might have moved me to unadulterated love. It comes from a French gastronome it-boy. I changed a few specifics, but you can't go wrong. Yoni and I made it Monday but ate it tonight for one of my best friend's birthdays.

I love me a good mousse.


Equal parts water and dark chocolate.
1 tbsp vanilla extract or 1/2 tsp vanilla beans or vanilla bean paste.

Place equal parts dark chocolate (I use a mix of two kinds -- 50 and 72% dark chocolate. Use a little more chocolate than water if you want to be sure your mousse will thicken.) and water in metal bowl over a pot of simmering water. Wisk water and chocolate until they melt together -- it should look like a very dark hot chocolate. Prepare an ice bath in a second bowl. When chocolate and water have melted together and are smooth, place bowl in ice bath and whisk mixture for three to five minutes. When mixture is thick,  whisk in vanilla. Either serve immediately or place in container and refrigerate overnight. I would recommend the second option. It allows the mousse to set and the consistency and flavor is significantly better -- it's almost like a pot de creme. Serve with fleur de sel or on it's own. You can also serve it with roasted hazelnuts  almonds, bananas, raspberries, sour cherries or strawberries. It's so good no matter who's feminist  dogma your guests are or aren't into, they'll be totally into you and your spectacular dessert.

Brownie Bites, Caramelized Bananas and Whipped Cream with mousse aren't necessary, but it's darn good.